This is the 7th installment of “Ten Things About Roofing You May Not Know!” which you can download as a free eBook.
It is absolutely imperative to check the credentials and background before hiring Cape Coral roofers. Ensure they have proper licensing and insurance…
…not just a document they typed out themselves.
Ask your Cape Coral roofers to see an active contractor’s license in the state of Florida, specific to your project. Call the State of Florida at (850) 487-1395 to verify the license or visit MyFloridaLicense.com.
Ask to see an active liability insurance policy to protect against property damage and bodily injury to others. Also ask to see an active workers compensation insurance policy to cover employees in case of an injury. Call the providers and confirm the policies!
Reputable Cape Coral roofers will gladly share this information with you. If there is any attempt to dissuade you from getting licensing and insurance information, you should be suspicious.
- Is the contractor using a physical address or post office box? A contractor with only a P.O. Box should alert you to a potential problem.
- Has the contractor quoted you a very low price? Uninsured contractors can quote cheaper prices because they aren’t paying for insurance. This leaves you at risk.
- Is the contractor showing you the right type of license? Read carefully – a business license for tax purposes is not the same as a contractor’s license.
- Has the license been suspended? Check with the Department of Business and Professional Regulation and local licensing departments to see if any complaints have been filed.
- Is the contractor asking you to pull permits? It could be an indication that they aren’t licensed to work in your area.